Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Seeing My Face in Their Mirror



I was looking for a program on the network at my new job. I saw a "Tools" folder, and checked inside.

And there was a program sitting in the folder called, "Count.exe." For some reason, I'm not even sure why, it seemed... familiar. It must have been the other files in the folder that made me think so, because Count.exe is not that unique a name or anything.

So, I opened it. And... I recognized it! It was like looking at a much-loved toy you haven't seen in a while. A toy you made yourself. That you love and use and find helpful! And love!

I called over the other programmers, Elizabeth and Tony, and showed them the program, saying, "Hey, guys! Hilarious! This is my program!" At first they thought I was just laughing because I had the same name as the author of the program. And, I admit, I would have thought that was very funny.

But no! Count.exe is mine. My little, dear program. I love that program, and the special programming I did for it, and how much I learned, and the technical details of it...

I am SUCH a geek!

--

Also, for those of you who follow this blog and wonder when the hell I posted about getting a new job... I didn't mention it until now. I do have a new job. I just started this week, and it's kind of a freelance thing, maybe not permanent. I don't really want it to be permanent... I want to make some good tools for this place and help them get set up having a more powerhouse kind of programming group, and then move on.

But, hey! New job!

4 Comments:

  • wow!!
    knowing Justin and I = the coolness
    new job = the coolness.
    seeing your program in action, at your new job = priceless.

    [disclaimer for any legal types that are reading Anne's blog, the above appropriation of any unamed Credit Card company's advertising material was not for personal financial gain but for satirical/non-commercial purposes only.]

    Congrats on a nifty day, Anne.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 8:16 PM  

  • Having a new job is great, yes.

    And, knowing you and Justin does kick ass, I admit.

    Hey... I wonder, could I get a JOB knowing you and Justin??? That would combine the best of both worlds!

    By Blogger annekat, at 9:03 PM  

  • Are you willing to re-locate? We have a knowing us position open in Omaha. We think you might be just the go-to it person we need for that region.

    By Blogger Jamie, at 4:44 AM  

  • Well, um... I guess... not, uh, really.

    By Blogger annekat, at 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home