Monday, March 21, 2005

Three... Two... One... Too Late, It's Spoiled



Whenever I've looked at the "Drink By" date on soda, it's always been years in the future. Or at least months. But we buy all our groceries these days at a cheapo store, where they usually stock overages from other stores, or damaged goods, or food with misprinted labels, that maybe isn't strictly legal to sell... All that good stuff. And, I guess they buy stock of soda that hasn't moved efficiently through the supply chain. Yes, our soda is old.

But imagine my shock and horror when I glanced at the date on an 8-ounce bottle this morning, and discovered that the date is day after tomorrow!

Well, hell, we have cases and cases of the stuff. And it still tastes perfectly good. Crisp, fresh, and meaty, like normal. (Not really meaty, I'm just kidding!) But what will happen when the sun dawns two days from now? That soda could very well curdle right before our eyes! Right while we're raising a fizzy bottle of caffeiney goodness to our eager, thirsting lips, we could hear a soft, "blaaat," and watch as the soul escapes from the liquid body of the soda that was.

This is a travesty. Should we take it back to the store and try for a better batch? Should we take our chances and risk sudden soda disaster? What to do, what to do. I can't... live... without my poppies. My precious, precious poppies! Okay... I KNOW I have a problem. I never called it "poppies" before this, that's for sure!

How could our grocery store have done this to us? My gah! Doesn't anybody CARE anymore?

Oh, wait... The date on the bottle says "MAY" twenty-third. Not "MAR" twenty-third. Quick calculation... Yes, May is not this month at all!

Oh. Well. Never mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home