Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Dying Won't Get You Out of Exercising

Perceived Exertion Scale - Exercise

The evil gummint has decided that we should exercise an entire hour a day, on the level of brisk walking or thereabouts. How the...? I went into programming for a living for a REASON, gummint, and the reason is that I do not WANT to exercise. I like to use my butt for its intended purpose, which is sitting, and also storing Entenmann's pastry products. Wait... that doesn't sound right. I mean as fat. You know, you eats the food, your butt gets fat... You know what I mean, right?

ANYway, I wondered about this target heart range thing. And I discovered that About.com is a helpful site to learn, you know, ABOUT stuff. If you have broadband. Because otherwise, loading a page that's fifty percent links to other stuff and twenty percent advertising? Is annoying.

But still, it does have information, even if it's only generally two paragraphs.

Take the Perceived Exertion Scale. This is a handy scale to use for exercising, to know when you're in the right range, somewhere between not exercising and making your heart asplode. Here, let me steal it wholesale for you! THAT'S how much I love you! I want you to have the tools to sense when death is coming! What blogs will go so far to protect your interests like that? Not many. Moveon.org? Doesn't care about you like I do. Slashdot? No sirree! Those techie geeks won't look at you unless you have blinking LEDs. Okay, I think I'm babbling. (THAT'S how much I love you!)


When exercising, you should monitor your intensity to make sure you're not working too hard. One way to do this is by using a Perceived Exertion Scale. For most workouts, you should stay somewhere between Level 5 and Level 6. For high intensity interval workouts, your recovery should be around Level 4 or 5, and your intense interval should not go above 9. For longer, slower workouts, keep your PE at Level 5 or lower.

  • Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
  • Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
  • Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
  • Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
  • Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
  • Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
  • Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
  • Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period.
  • Level 9: I am probably going to die.
  • Level 10: I am dead.
Just for the record, though, I don't actually love you, you know, that way. I wouldn't stab you with a rake or anything. But, you know, let's just be friends. But I still love you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home